The first written record about this westernmost Slovak village dates back to 1301. In the past, the inhabitants of Záhorská Bystrica were predominantly fishermen and made various objects from reed. It was very important that there were several bridges across the river. Nowadays, both inhabitants and visitors of this area who want to cross the border can make use of a ferry that runs between Záhorská Ves and Angern.
In the Croatian village of Varaždin there are well-preserved palaces, churches and monasteries, a monumental Old town and a cemetery from the 19th century well-known for its horticulture.
Engelhartstetten is a developing Austrian agricultural village near the Morava, well-known for its national park Danube- floodplain forests. Each visitor is pleased to see the alluvial forests of the Danube with tropical-looking flora and rare bird species; but also baroque chateaux Schloβhof and Niederweiden are well-worth seeing.
An old viticultural town Devin grew and developed thanks to the crossroads of two merchant routes: the Danube (“Podunajska”) and Amber (“Jantarova cesta”) route. One of the first written records of the Devin town is a document from 1237 called “Villa Thebyn”. Developing craftsmanship and a good strategic position ensured the village would become a town. (in 1428). A majestic castle ruin, the church of the Holy Cross – Virgin Mary from the 14th century or the natural beauty of the surroundings offer a rich program for the visitors.
The town of Marchegg, lying close to the Austrian border, was established in 1268 by the king Přemysl Ottakar. Numerous cultural monuments testify its former fame. On the outskirts of the city there is a natural reserve “Moravian floodplain forests” and Kleiner Breitensee Lake. This one is very significant due to its colony of white storks (one of the biggest ones in Europe): up to 50 nesting pairs. Another curiosity is a bridge on 25 stone-arches, which was built within a construction of a railway-track Vienna-Bratislava in the middle of 19th century.