The navigable Morava River

In the 1970s, the Morava water Management Company was established, later called Lower Morava water Management Company, Slovenské dolnomoravské vodné družstvo operating until 1954, with headquarters first in Malacky, later in Bratislava. Its task was to stop the erosion on the left bank of the Morava. (The right bank was obviously higher and this gradually shifted the winding river eastwards.) The second task was to deepen the main flow in order to make it navigable. The scope was to enable a cheap and fast transport of quarry stone upstream (for strengthening the river banks), and to enable the transport of goods from the Danube to the north, for a later project Danube-Oder Canal (artificial waterway). This water management company worked successfully and on 17th May 1886 the first steamboat crossed from the Danube to Dimburg, today’s Suchohrad, near Malacky.
The plan was implemented to a greater extent than it had been expected: apart from the stone (from the quarry known as the first Bratislava limekiln since 1897, belonging to Mauritz Mittelmann), the navigable part of the river was also used for sand transport – from Sandberg. For this purpose, an elevated railway funicular was constructed. The supporting pillars have been kept up to present.