From The History

The first written record about the existence of a village with such name dates back to 10th October 1451. It is a document written by the governor of the Hungarian Kingdom in those times. In this letter, written in Nova Ves (then), he thanks Bratislava and its citizens for having been loyal to the king and he promises them military protection from the Bohemian Hussite attacks.
A constant settlement of the village surroundings is recorded to date back to Late Stone Age (4000 BC), with findings from today’s Podhorské neighbourhood and from the vicinity of the railway station. Abundant findings from the Bronze Age come from the spots between the Devin Lake and former brickworks, from gravel pit for brickworks and also from a dense network of fortified habitations in the whole surroundings. A fortified habitation on a rock, surrounded by a wooden-clay rampart and a stone wall dates back to this period, too.
Farmers’ settlements near Marchegg bridges, Murnice and Útočnice come from the Iron Age (7th-5th century BC). Even the Celts were proved to have been in the surroundings: Nové diely, Útočnice, and Za Krpašom. One silver and two golden coins were found in Pieskovec (Sandberg).
Multitude of findings is from the Roman times when this are formed a boundary between the Roman Empire and the barbarians. Among some very precious ones we can mention the unique German graves Na Vyhliadke. There are records about settlements Murnica and Dálne Jášovce in the first century AD.
Even Matej Bel writes in his works “Notície”: “Immense number of Roman coins was dug out from under the rock.” The movement of nations is also recorded. The Slavonic period is the most significant for Devinska Nova Ves. Professor Eisner in 1926-1933 discovered a huge burial site (thanks to Josef Zavadil) in the sand pit area of the brickworks – 883 graves for the population of those days, documenting all levels of society in those times. It was not the only place in the area. There are proofs about the period at Skala, Pieskovec, Kamenáče, glass furnace in White quarry.
These places were settled in the Great-Moravian times and also after the arrival of Hungarians. Even the oldest historical sources mention this territory. Fuldske annals, a historical source from 855 mentions the fight of Louis (eastern French king) and Rastislav, and describes the besieging of a fort called Dowina. In 869, Louis’s son Charles is said to have entered the Rastislav’s fort. This fort is Devin.
Although the written documents and sources from the 10th -12th centuries are infrequent, the archaeologists claim that the settlements were constant and continual. After Tartars’ plundering in 1241, there was a strong German colonisation. In 1271 there were troops of Přemysl Ottakar II (a Czech king) in the near vicinity. Nearby villages Stupava, Pajštún, Zohor and others are mentioned in books listing properties of Rugerio of Tallesbrunn, an aristocrat who used to own Devin.
Special “chapters” in the history of Devinska Nova Ves include Croatian colonisation in the middle of the 16th century and Maria Theresa’s reforms (18th century).
The second half of the 19th century represents industrial revolution, workers’ strikes and politically engaged citizens.
The period after the First World War is characterised by the cultural development and after the Second World War it is collectivisation and its results.
The natural richness of Devinska Nova Ves is remarkable: Pieskovec (Sandberg), the Morava floodplain, flora and fauna on the western slope of Devinska Kobyla. There are also relics of railway construction, industry, Morava regulation, sand extraction and fruit growing. Documents about these activities are kept in the Museum of Natural Sciences in Vienna, in the Slovak National Museum in Bratislava, in Martin, in the archives, in the local parish, and in the chronicles of the municipal office.